Before considering entering the VA field, it is important to know that you must have fairly good computer skills, and an expertise that will benefit a business virtually. Computer skills would include the following:
- Understanding the Internet and how to find and extract information
- Understanding the use of email and how to use it effectively
- Knowing a word processing program such as Word. We strongly suggest that you are extremely comfortable using Microsoft Office products
- Being competent in what you do
- Being professional
If you have skills in accounting, database, web site development, graphic design, real estate, finance, organizing, etc., you may need additional software and skills related to your niche.
What Equipment Will You Need to Get Started
- Computer and a high speed Internet connection – Cable, DSL, and a reliable backup system
- Printer, preferably a high resolution laser jet or desk jet
- Dedicated telephone lines for the business
- Depending on the requirements of your clients, you may need a copier, or easy access to a copier, scanner, a binding system and mailing equipment
- Your space should be organized, light, and quiet. You should have a comfortable chair and a comfortable environment. Whether your space is small or large, create an environment that is pleasing for you to be in each day.